I’ve been teaching design classes for my friends over at Alt Channel for about a year now. They’re one of my very favorite things, and, if you haven’t already, I hope you get to participate in one someday. For those of you who took my Graphic Design for Bloggers 201 class, here are some resources for you.
Smashing Magazine’s incredibly detailed and thorough series on Color Theory —
- Color Theory for Designers, Part 1: The Meaning of Color
- Color Theory For Designers, Part 2: Understanding Concepts And Terminology
- Color Theory for Designer, Part 3: Creating Your Own Color Palettes
Color Wheel Pro —
I Love Typography is a fantastic resource for all things Typographical. Great articles on a wide range of topics.
They have a particularly great series called eXtreme Type Terminology
- Part 1 – The Detection of Types
- Part 2 – Anatomy of a Letterform
- Part 3 – The “Black” Art
- Part 4 – Numerals and Punctuation
- Part 5 – Diminuendo and The Future
Fantastic tips on pairing fonts: A Beginner’s Guide to Pairing Fonts
I love these two videos on Typography:
A few great places to buy fonts:
My favorite free font resource is DaFont.
Here’s a great list of well-designed free fonts.
And that’s about it for now. I’ll keep adding to this list as I think of things. And I’d love to hear any suggestions you have for things that should be on this list.